Dental Implants: Celebrate This Friendship Day with a New Smile
Missing teeth are not fun. Not only are they unattractive, but the gaps can cause damage to your teeth and bone. The lack of teeth causes the alveolar bone to deteriorate. Furthermore, the surrounding teeth begin to shift to the available spaces cause the nearby teeth to weaken. Replacing your missing teeth is crucial to your oral health and appearance. Fortunately, we have several dental treatments that can close the gaps, and dental implants are among the best.
Implants are titanium screws that are surgically fixed on the jaw to anchor the artificial teeth. However, as effective as the implants are, you need to have sufficient bone to support them. If you have insufficient bone density, the dentist may recommend a bone graft.
Other than that, dental implants are a great option, and here is why:
1. Implants Create a Seamless Look and Resemble Your Natural Teeth
Since these titanium screws are fixed on the jawbone, they fuse to the gums and create a natural look. Once the crown is fixed, the artificial teeth are invisible.
Fixing these implants requires several dental visits, and it takes a few months. The process involves:
- Dental examination and assessment. On your first dental appointment, our dentist in Cordova will perform a comprehensive dental checkup to check for bone loss. A professional cleaning may be done to remove any plaque buildup. Our dental team will also map out the treatment plan and explain the risks involved, if any.
- Next, the dentist will fix the screws in the jawbone, depending on your choice of dental implants. It may take a few months for the implant and the bone to fuse. This process is essential because if they don’t blend properly, the implants may fail.
- After the implants and bone are attached, the abutment or connector is fixed. The process is not complicated and is done under local anesthesia.
- The dentist will take a dental impression to make the dental crowns. These permanent crowns are connected to the abutment.
A follow-up dental appointment may be scheduled to assess the gums and surrounding teeth.
2. The Implant Preserve Your Dental Structure
Did you know having missing teeth for a year will result in a 12 percent of alveolar bone loss? The alveolar bone keeps the teeth supported, and when it is left bare, it starts to dissolve. The more you stay without teeth, the further bone will deteriorate.
Although getting dental bridges can replace the teeth, they may not protect your dental structure. With time you may lose some supporting bone. Using dental implants will do both—close the gaps and preserve your bone. Moreover, because the implants fuse to the bone, they may promote bone growth, which holds your structure together.
3. The Teeth Implants Are Long-lasting
Teeth implants are a permanent tooth replacement treatment. These titanium screws can support your teeth for more than 25 years. However, the dental crowns may need replacement after a few years, depending on the implant location.
4. No Special Dental Instructions Is Required
Dental implants resemble your natural teeth in function and appearance. This means that you do not need any special instruction other than your standard dental hygiene practices. However, it is crucial to visit the dentist often to monitor your dental implants and crowns. Also, do not forget to get fluoride treatment and professional teeth cleaning to preserve your other teeth. Remember, dental implants do not protect against dental decay.
Can Dental Implants Fail?
Teeth implants have a 95 percent success rate. However, a few issues may arise and make the to fail like:
- Nerve bruising
- Failure for the bone and implants to fuse correctly. This may cause the body to reject the tooth implant.
- Gum disease
- Bruxism—the grinding and clenching of the teeth.
- Poor dental hygiene
If you notice pain, gum swelling, or infection, visit our dentist immediately for treatment.
Dental implants offer a long-lasting solution to your missing teeth. Contact us at Arlington Dental, and Dr. Mark Whitlock will discuss how dental implants can make you smile better on this upcoming friendship day.